Monday, February 2, 2009

What to do with a windfall?

Last year when I did my 2007 taxes I received a refund but I made mortgage payments for a partial year only. I wasn't sure about how 2008 would work out because it was going to be my first year of making payments for a whole year so I was conservative with my withholding. I didn't take into account how much my interest payments would reduce my income, putting me into an entirely different tax bracket. I was thinking I'd get about a thousand dollars back.

Um, oops...

My combined fed/state refund is going to be about TWELVE THOUSAND DOLLARS! (Cash from Fed, I.O.U. from State)

Holy cow! What am I going to do with all that money?!

First of all, I need to change my withholding. I am not maxed out on my 403(b) so I am going to increase my contribution at the same time. I will still be a bit conservative with my withholding; I know the argument about giving the government a free loan by overpaying, but I always use my refund to pay down debt in a big chunk and it makes me feel happy. It's one of those emotion-based financial decisions, but one I can live with.

Second of all, what to do with the money? As much as a new steam washer/dryer are calling my name I already have a serviceable set and I don't really need them. Here's the tentative plan: $10,000 on the second mortgage, $1000 to the first mortgage, and $1000 undecided. My original goal for the year was $10,000 paid to principal of my second mortgage, now I can double that amount this year. Whoopee!!

4 comments:

  1. First of all, awesome windfall! Personally I'd stash or invest the cash, but that's my home hatred showing through. You should do whatever makes you happy. Readjust your goals by the amount you are covering with the refund. I can't believe you didn't adjust your withholding, I did it the month I bought my house or I wouldn't get through the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Don't you just love the burden of debating what to do with the "windfall"? Reducing debt and savings are 2 sides of the same coin, so either is a good decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Great news - although, readjusting sounds like the best thing to do. No sense giving them an interest free loan! Enjoy the feeling of figuring out what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete