Sunday, February 22, 2009

New goal

I'm taking the whole weaning myself off of my dining out habits thing in short steps. First I stayed away from fast food, then I stayed away from my favorite restaurant for a week (still no fast food). I took a week off and allowed myself a fast food meal and a couple meals at my favorite restaurant (but that is still a lot less than my prior pattern). I still eat at other restaurants but not as often. Now I am going to spend the next two weeks without fast food or my favorite restaurant. I bought mini cans of my favorite soda so I can have a soda when the urge to go out is really bad. Part of my dining out problem is my addiction to soda; I go to the restaurant because I want soda and end up (of course) eating a whole meal. Eventually my plan is to stop drinking soda as well, but if I did it all at once I'd end up on the floor, twitching. So one small step at a time, building on each prior success.

Small steps and building on past success are what helped me succeed with getting my finances under control and getting out of debt so I am going to try to apply those same principles to my dining out habit.

The reductions in dining out so far have saved me about $60 in the last two weeks. That's enough money to buy lavender plants to plant my parking strip without having to take from another budget. Yipee!

3 comments:

  1. Weaning off of restaurants is truly difficult, especially if you're watching Top Chef, Anthony Bourdaine or anything else on the Food Network. With respect to weaning off of sodas, I started by drinking sparkling water with lemon/lime. It's not sweet and is clearly not a apples to apples alternative but it gave me the satisfying fizz. Good luck and have fun planting the lavender. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your new goal, baby steps make it easier. I'm not giving up soda any time soon, I already live pretty frugally. I've given up many things but not my diet coke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Hi! Found you through Fighting Foreclosure's blog!)

    Man, I struggle with this, too. I loooove food, and I hate cooking. I wish you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete