Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Oatmeal in a rice cooker, oatmeal to the rescue of my finances

This post at 444Express started me thinking about oatmeal. 444's post is about instant oatmeal but this is about regular oatmeal. I've been attracted to the idea of eating oatmeal but for years I just couldn't do it. I kept buying oatmeal but only ever used it to make cookies.

Regular oatmeal is supposed to be better for you because it is less processed and doesn't have the chemical and sugary additives of instant oatmeal. It doesn't have a lot of calories and has lots of fiber. For 150 calories you get 4g fiber and 5g protein but only 3g fat and 1g sugar. That's the same calories as a soda, and much more filling. Regular oatmeal is also cheaper than instant and has less packaging.

I never made oatmeal because I hated cooking it in a pan, having to watch it and stir it. I do not want to spend that kind of time on breakfast if I have to go to work. Actually, I don't want to spend time cooking oatmeal any day because I think it tastes like paste, I just eat it sometimes because it is good for me.

A couple of months ago I discovered that it is possible to cook oatmeal in a rice cooker. Eureka! With the rice cooker I can put the oats in the cooker the night before, then add water and start it up. The oatmeal cooks in the time it takes me to shower. Or, I can make a big batch ahead of time, divide it up into my little Pyrex glass bowls, put it in the fridge and reheat as needed. What I usually end up doing is taking the oatmeal to work and eating it on my first break.

I have heard of soaking oats overnight before cooking them, if that is possible then I could put the oats and water in the cooker the night before, then plug in and press "start" in the morning. For cleanup I fill the cooker with water and soak it during the day and wash it when I get home. Easy!

How does all this relate to personal finance? If I eat food from home then I am cheaply fed. If I am not hungry then I am less likely to eat lunch in the expensive work cafeteria or go out to eat on my way home. Average cafeteria meal: about $5-8. Average dinner out: about $12. Sometimes I do both!! Saving myself $20 even two days a week adds up to over $1600/year. Yikes! Healthy and money-saving!

4 comments:

  1. I always have a bagel toasted with light butter. I make it at home and then give it a quick reheat in the micro at work, I can't eat first thing in the morning but I can't go without breakfast either. Interesting oatmeal idea, you could probably add some dried fruit and it would be like the flavored oatmeals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oatmeal really fills me up like nothing else. I can eat several bowls of cream of wheat and just be pleasantly full. But one half-bowl of oatmeal, and I'm done. It's good and inexpensive, though, so I'm glad you're getting into it! Way to try new things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My coworkers always eat that instant stuff, and it smells so good ... but I can't get past the gooshy texture. Now, oatmeal bars sound fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steel cut oats are not mushy and you can add walnuts, maple syrup or brown sugar and cinnamon so it will smell the same as your co-workers' instant nutrition-lacking mess.

    ReplyDelete