Friday, February 6, 2009

Makin' due not buyin' new, and starting out right

Just because I am frugal doesn't mean I don't like to look nice or have nice things. Of course I do! Every so often I try to do some upkeep on me and my stuff so I feel good about myself and my lifestyle. This list isn't all-inclusive, it is just stuff I have done recently or plan to do soon.

1. Polish my shoes. My favorite shoes are a nice pair of Danskos that cost over $100 but have classic style, a little bit of a heel, and have lasted for years. The occasional polish keeps them looking near new. Many times people throw things away that are serviceable but look shabby.

2. Clean out my car. My car is only a couple of years old but if I take care of it'll look new for longer. Even my old 1983 Corolla looked spiffy when it was all clean and polished. I kept it longer than I otherwise might have because it still looked nice.

3. Home spa. Do maintenance on you! I feel better about myself when I feel like I look good, and when I feel good I make better decisions. It is a pleasure to pay someone to do facial, hair and nails but it is expensive! In between major hair service I can keep my color fresh on my own (I use the same products because I have access to the wholesale professional supply stores).

4. Polish metal. The sink fixtures, towel racks and chrome stove top all look their best with the occasional polish. Every once in a while I like to bring out the Brasso.

5. Clean the windows. The world looks a bit dingy when viewed through a year's worth (or longer) of dust and water spots on the windows.

6. Launder carefully. I line dry my more fragile items so they last longer. Eventually I plan to get a clothesline in the back yard so I can line dry most of my stuff then just fluff in the dryer. Also, when I put sheets and towels away I put the freshly washed items on the bottom of the stack so that everything gets rotated. This keeps any one towel or sheet getting faded and worn while the rest of the set looks new (especially important for dark colors). When they are all worn out I'll buy all new together.

7. Start with quality. We've made hundreds of smoothies over the years. In the beginning I bought a cheap blender. Then I bought a slightly better blender but it still couldn't crush ice like the restaurant blenders. We didn't like our homemade smoothies as much as the store bought ones because they weren't as smooth, and we were spending a bunch of money buying multiple inexpensive blenders and store smoothies. Finally we decided to buy the expensive restaurant quality blender and we now make smoothies we like as well as or better than the store and the blender is going strong after nine years. The cheap blenders lasted less than one. I also replaced my cheap sander with a nice sander. If you start with quality in the beginning you can save in the long run over multiple replacements for cheap items. I may never need to buy another blender or sander as long as I live.

4 comments:

  1. Great advice, making stuff last is a good way to save money (and the planet). I admit I'm not the best at this, my car needs a polish and cleaning out. Mr M is a huge smoothie fan, what blender do you have? We have a nice home quality one that we use but it's a PITA cause it doesn't have enough power.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely true about quality...old school stuff is just so much better, though IKEA ranks pretty darn high when it comes to good stuff.

    I remember, when I first moved out, I bought a cheap set of knives from WalMart (I hate that place, but I really couldn't help it; I was on this side of broke at the time). I HATED those knives. Then I bought a better knife--$12 from IKEA, which was a lot of money for me. Spent an additional $3 on a knife-sharpener, and have refused to work with dull blades again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Miss M - we have a VitaMix blender. It is the same brand you may see at Baskin Robbins or Jamba Juice, only with the store's label on it. It is NOT cheap, we paid $400 for it, but it is awesome to use and blends ice very well. You clean it by putting hot water and a few drops of soap in and turning the blender on. It is so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jules - IKEA does have some nice stuff for the price. At least they have furniture made out of real wood, unlike Target, WalMart, etc.

    ReplyDelete