Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Looking to increase my work hours, keeping my fingers crossed

One way I can improve my finances is by making more money. I work .7FTE (full time equivalent), 8-hour shifts now which means 56 hours in a two week pay period, plus on-call. I want a .9FTE 12-hour shift position because it would be six days working per pay period instead of seven and more hours (thus more money) but I have to wait until everyone with more seniority in my work area who wants a 12-hour position, has one. This seniority rule is part of the union contract and is not flexible. There is one person ahead of me on the list. I just heard that one position for sure, but probably two positions will be opening up very soon. If there are two positions then I will get one. Hooray!! Sixteen extra hours per pay period will be a big boost to the size of my paycheck! I am pleasantly optimistic now and awaiting final word hopefully by the end of the week.

2 comments:

  1. Hey that's cool, it's interesting you don't work full time now. Is there not enough demand? I could get so much done working less!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is demand, the positions are created at various levels to start with. Many hospital nurses work 40 hour weeks. Many work 12-hour shifts and do 36/week, at least in California. In CA weekly hours for hourly workers in excess of 40/week must be paid at overtime rates so it is easier to call 36/week full time. I take call for the night shift since we do not have regular staff during that time (need is intermittent and inconsistent) and sometimes work overtime (working beyond my scheduled hours is overtime) so I end up making more than full time money and work closer to full time hours when my call shifts are added in. Having the extra day off during the week is WONDERFUL, I love it and would never go back to a Monday to Friday day shift schedule unless I absolutely had to.

    ReplyDelete