Monday, February 16, 2009

Saver Loves a Spender, Part II: Compromise

When you are partnered up with someone you can't have your way all the time. That's part of what makes a partnership work in a way that is (mostly) acceptable to both of you. Sometimes being committed to a relationship means doing something you wouldn't choose on your own. Haven't we all sacrificed for someone we loved? Recently I made a compromise that goes against my nature, something I would never have done on my own.

Mr. K and I bought a big screen TV.

Not just any big screen, but a 60 inch top of the line plasma (Mr. K is an electronics geek, he always wants the best stuff). Holy cow, very expensive. And so BIG! It feels silly (to me, I think he wishes it were bigger but even 60" is really pushing it).

Flash back to ten years ago when Mr. K persuaded me to buy our old TV, a near top of the line 32 inch CRT (with S-video, and RGB!! -huh?, I said). Holy cow, so very expensive. And so BIG! It felt silly. But then.... I started to like it. Wow, movies look really good on the big screen, and video games are so much better! And now, people come over to our house to play games and watch movies instead of us going out. And they bring us food and wine, sweet!

Sometimes I think that I would end up like one of those bag ladies who dies with millions of dollars if it weren't for Mr. K. If it weren't for him I might let my thrifty impulses escalate until they were pathological and unhealthy. I let myself live a little better because of him.

And yes, I already had the money set aside for a big purchase. For three years he's been trying to talk me into a bigger TV so I was ready. I am willing to compromise and buy an unnecessary luxury item, but don't think I'm willing to go into debt to do it!

4 comments:

  1. Men and their big screen tvs! Fortunately my walls/house are too small for that big of a TV. We have a 37" and couldn't fit anything larger. Money is for spending, enjoy the new TV!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you that you are able to compromise. I know of so many spender-saver couples that seem to demand "my-way-or-the-highway" approach that both are miserable. Hope you enjoy the TV. BTW, you may also be able to lose weight/tone up by playing Wii Sports on your big TV!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is it with men and their TVs? Is it something on the Y chromosome?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you'll have this one for another 10 years and then it'll have a very low cost/use. :)

    ReplyDelete