Saturday, March 7, 2009

Change I can believe in

I seem to be on a stream of consciousness kick this week...

I only made the first ten minutes into Alexandra Pelosi's "Right America" documentary following the McCain Campaign (it was after midnight and I was too sleepy) but I wanted to laugh out loud at all the quotes from people talking about how the number one issue in America is abortion, or gays. The campaign was just last summer; just a few short months later, would people be saying that now? I don't think so. I think the #1 issue in America is the economy. It was laughable, in a sad way. Now that I think about it, how many women will have abortions who otherwise would not have because they are fearful to raise a child in this economic climate? I would argue that people are more likely to welcome children when times are better.

But I digress...

All this rescue package stuff makes me feel so frustrated and sad. I wanted Obama to make rousing speeches about Americans taking responsibility for the mess we are all in, and telling us to own our responsibility and pay the bills that are due. I was hoping for an encouragement to dig deep and find our ingenuity to develop new businesses to replace all those that failed (thinking, as an example, of the new Tesla car company versus the failing Detroit companies). From the ashes of our mistakes we could rise like the phoenix, new and glorious and strong. Cleansed in the fire of all that was dead and dragging the economy down we rise with the energy of our own internal fire. No such luck. Just like I have seen in many a Code Blue at the hospital, we keep on resuscitating past all reasonable hope of bringing the dead and dying back to life because we cannot let go. In the end, the dead are dead but it cost a lot more money than it needed to.

No comments:

Post a Comment