Saturday, May 2, 2009

Experiments in eating at home

I started cooking at home this week. Maybe you don't think that's a big deal, but in the two years I have lived in my house I have cooked maybe three or four family meals that weren't for a holiday. Everything else was snack food or eating out, with the occasional partial dinner for one. This is going to get expensive if I keep cooking for everyone. At the moment eating in is costing almost as much as eating out for just me would cost. I think that once I get the hang of it eating in will be cheaper and after our guest leaves I'll go back to making food for just me - Mr. K isn't too excited about my cooking since I don't like tomatoes or cheese.

I'm going to have to pay more attention to all the posts out there about cooking at home and budgeting for food now that I'm eating at home. It is a very weird experience. I'm also running the dishwasher more often, twice in a week now instead of once every ten days; I am also washing more kitchen towels and napkins (we use cloth napkins). Also if I keep this up the lack of counter space in my kitchen may drive me to a remodel sooner than expected. Given all that, maybe it would be cheaper to eat out all the time.

5 comments:

  1. Changing your eating habits is hard. It's worth it, though. In addition to being able to control your food costs, you will be able to control where your food comes from and what you are eating. I made the switch a few years ago for budgetary reasons, but I continue to eat at home for health reasons.

    Start with simple stuff. You can make delicious food in 30 mins or less. And you don't have to do it every night - 3 nights a week plus eating leftovers a couple of lunches can make a big financial difference, as long as you keep pricey stuff to a minimum and use the spices and condiments you already have in your kitchen.

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent as much money at the grocery store this week as I ordinarily spend dining out but have since realized that I now have enough food at home to last me all of next week as well as some of the week after that. I'll only have to pick up a few fresh items at the store this week, I hope. So it will save more eventually. Also I like being able to buy organic foods which I doubt I am getting from restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's impossible that eating in will cost as much as eating out unless - all you ever ate were dollar menu burgers. They may be able to buy food cheaper than you can, but then you are paying for their labor, overhead and profit etc. You'll get used to it and costs will come down as you learn what you like, what goes bad when etc. If you buy many ingredients specific to one recipe it can get costly, look for things that can get used in multiple recipes. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As the others said, my experience is that part of the expense is just getting the staples stocked up. Once you have those you'll be able to throw together meals for under a couple of dollars. Planning ahead helps, then you know you have everything on hand. You can also make several meals out of the same kinds of ingredients - chicken sandwiches, salads and lettuce wraps for example, can all taste really different but use a lot of the same materials.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, you'll get a schedule going. And it will prove to be cheaper, tastier, and healthier. Well, I guess with the potential to be healthier (dependant on cooking style).

    I think its a great things you are doing. And you and Mr. K will find your balance. My Mr. is a red meat freak and I am a veggie freak, but we have made it work. :)

    ReplyDelete