Friday, January 23, 2009

Do I want to climb the CD ladder?

When I was building my emergency fund I just focused on having the money, not how I would take care of it once I had it. As my fund grew bigger, I started to think about where I would keep all that money. It is for emergencies so it has to be pretty liquid and accessible. Interest rates for savings are so low now that I almost might as well keep it under my mattress. Right now I am making 1.01% - it's laughable! The solution I came up with was to put one month's expenses (my E-fund is bases on four months of expenses) in a six month CD. Two months later I put another month's expenses into a CD. In another two months I did the same again. I am keeping one month's expenses in the savings. Every two months a CD will roll over, this month that is happening for the first time. The short term on the CD means that while I don't get as good of an interest rate as a longer term CD I still get more than with the conventional savings; also I won't have to wait that long if I anticipate needing the money in the near future.

Recently I heard about CD laddering, where you take a bunch of money, divide it into five portions, and every year you buy a five year CD. After a few years you have a CD maturing every year. Because the five year interest rates are higher the return is better but some of the money is accessible every year. I think that is a good idea but I'm not sure I want to do it, at least not with my emergency fund. Maybe with some other money. But the idea has given me something to think about.

Sidenote: I used to work as a bank teller in the early 90s. I remember looking at the rates for a 20 year CD and they were 12%. I think 5 year rates were around 7%. Thinking about that and looking at today's rates makes me want to gag. If I could have cobbled together $1000 back then how much money would I be looking at the end of 20 years? I don't even want to calculate it, I might cry.

3 comments:

  1. I just put most of my money in online savings accounts because the CD rates were no better and your money is inaccessible. At the time I could get over 4% on a savings account! I keep my money at FNBO online, highly rated and very safe, only pays 2.8% right now. Or go with ING, I love them too and keep money there cause I think they rock (2.4%). CDs are good to get into early in a falling rate environment, ie last summer and fall. I have a 1-year at 4.25%, wish I got more! I'm going to build up more CDs in the future, but only with money I don't need for several years. Efund is cash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My buddy just opened an ING account a few months ago and with the ING incentive offering plus interest on his direct deposits - he said he's up to almost $1000! I'm going to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everybody raves about ING, it seems worth a look.

    ReplyDelete